Office of Educator Certification
The Office of Educator Certification processes all necessary paperwork for candidates who are applying for initial certification or adding additional fields to existing certification in Georgia, as well as processes applications for candidates who are applying for out-of-state educator positions.
Completion of required coursework for a degree or non-degree program leading to certification at UWG does not satisfy all requirements for licensure by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC). The following assessments are required for licensure:
Required Assessments for Licensure
Teaching Licensure Programs (Art Education, Elementary Education, Foreign Language Education, Music Education, Physical Education, Secondary Education, Special Education)
- Passing scores on GACE Content Assessment appropriate to field of study
- Passing scores on Georgia Educator Ethics Assessment (Test 360)
Service Licensure Programs (Instructional Technology, Media Specialist, Reading Instruction, School Counseling, Speech-Language Pathology)
- Passing scores on GACE Content Assessment appropriate to field of study (Praxis II for Speech-Language Pathology)
Leadership Licensure Programs (Educational Leadership – Tier I and Tier II)
- Passing scores on GACE Content Assessment in Educational Leadership or Performance Assessment for School Leaders (PASL) as appropriate to program
- Passing scores on Georgia Ethics for Educational Leadership Assessment (Test 380)
Application for Certification
Programs Leading to Certification
Approximately 4 weeks prior to graduation/program completion, program candidates completing programs leading to certification will receive instructions for applying for certification via their UWG email accounts.
Programs Leading to Certificate Upgrades Only
Please see instructions at the following link for candidates completing programs leading to certificate upgrades only: Certificate Upgrade Certification Requirements (PDF, 435K)
If you have questions regarding application for certification, please contact Kathy Jones, Certification Official, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (678) 839-6109.