At the University of West Georgia, we transform lives and change perceptions, constantly challenging ourselves to ask “what if” and refusing to accept that possibilities are limited. We embrace diversity. We value community. We drive growth. We engage – as students, faculty and staff – and work collectively to be the best comprehensive university in America, sought after as the best place to work, learn and succeed.
Founded in 1906, UWG grew from a district agricultural and mechanical school to a two-year institution and then a four-year college in 1957. We achieved university status in 1996. Here, students Go West, blazing trails to new possibilities for scholarly achievement, creative expression and service to humanity.
UWG is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and is classified as a SACS Level VI University, the highest level possible. The Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education awarded us the classification of Doctoral Research University R3. Only seven other Georgia institutions of higher learning qualify for doctoral university status. The Carnegie Classification has been the leading framework for recognizing institutional diversity in U.S. higher education for the past four and a half decades.
Amazing things happen when you Go West. Come see for yourself.
At a glance…
- Georgia Ranking: The state’s sixth largest public university
- Educational Diversity: Six colleges and one school – Arts and Humanities, Honors College, Social Sciences, Education, Science and Mathematics, Nursing, Richards College of Business
- Total Enrollment: Record 13,520 in fall 2017
- Degree Programs: 86 fields of study, including bachelor’s, master’s, specialist and doctoral programs as well as post-baccalaureate and post-master’s certificates
- Student Success: Record incoming freshman GPA of 3.2 in fall 2017; SAT scores at 28-year high; record 2,610 degrees conferred in fiscal year 2016; record four-year and five-year institutional graduation rates
- Campaign Funds Raised: $31 million of our goal of $50 million in our first-ever capital campaign
- Economic Impact: Record $564 million - up 22 percent in five years - as reported by the University
System of Georgia Board of Regents in 2016
Employment Impact: More than 1,800 full and part-time employees and support through spending of more than 5,100 jobs in the west Georgia region
- Geographic Reach: Students from 43 states and 74 countries
- Student Involvement: More than 150 student organizations
- Accolades and Achievements:
- Recognized among the nation's top colleges and universities in 2018 by U.S. News & World Report
- Honored as a Best Regional College for 2018 by the Princeton Review
- Recognized as one of America's best-fit universities for students by Colleges of Distinction
- Named one of the Most Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs for 2017. UWG is one of only two universities nationwide to receive this national recognition from the Center for Higher Education Enterprise (CHEE) for four consecutive years.
- Expanding the Carrollton/Carroll County Education Collaborative into other west Georgia counties