On July 9, 1997, the University announced the College of Business had received a $1.5 million endowment - the largest in the school's history - from the Richards Foundation to honor the late Roy Richards, Sr. In recognition of this gift and the late Mr. Richards' life-long contributions to business and economic development in the region, the business college became known as the Richards College of Business.
Mr. Richards attended the Fourth District A & M School - which would later become the University of West Georgia - before going on to engineering school in 1931. He credited West Georgia 's first president, Dr. Irvine S. Ingram, for helping to shape the values and commitment that carried him throughout his career.
Founded by Roy Richards, Jr. in 1990, the Richards Foundation supports organizations in Carrollton and surrounding communities that are working to break the cycles that create economic disadvantage and social needs. The children of Roy Richards, Sr., continue the tradition of community involvement and caring begun long ago by Mr. and Mrs. Richards.