Transcripts are processed by the Enrollment Services Center and they are available through the following ordering methods:

  • myUWG (currently enrolled students only)
  • BanWeb (currently enrolled students or former students that have attended UWG since 1998)
  • Clearinghouse (former students that have not attended UWG since 1998, any student requesting an official transcript in PDF form)


For currently enrolled students: Transcripts may be ordered online through your myUWG account by accessing the BanWeb tab within your myUWG account.

If you have forgotten your password, simply click on “Reset your UWG ID” and follow the steps.

To order your transcript through myUWG, login and click on the Banweb tab (top right corner). Then select the “Student Services & Financial Aid” link. Click the “Request Official Transcript” link. From there the site will guide you through the request process. Be sure to read and follow the directions carefully.  If you have questions please contact the ESC.



Transcripts can be ordered directly through BanWeb by current students, former students or alumni who attended the university after 1998. If you attended prior to 1998 you must use the Clearinghouse method.

If you do not remember your Banweb login information or if you would like to verify if Banweb is an option for you, simply click on “Forgoten Your PIN?” If you need assistance with your Banweb account please contact ITS at (678) 839-6587.

Instructions for Banweb request:

  1. Go to
  2. Click Login.
  3. Enter your 917# or Social Security Number into the “User ID” field.
  4. Enter your pin/password into the “PIN” field.
    1. If you need to have your PIN/Password reset please click the “Forgotten Your PIN?” link and follow the directions. You can come into the Enrollment Services Center or contact ITS at (678) 839-6587 to have your PIN/Password reset as well.
    2. If your PIN has been reset, it will be the last two digits of your birth year followed by the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
    3. You will be prompted to change your PIN. You may use your current PIN as your new PIN. If you choose to change your PIN, it will need to be at least six digits (all numerical).
    4. You may be prompted to create a security question.
  5. Once you are logged in you will click the Student Services & Financial Aid link.
  6. Click the Request Official Transcript link.
  7. From here the site will guide you through the request process. Be sure to read and follow the directions carefully. If you have any questions, the ESC will be happy to assist you.

    *When requesting a RUSH copy: Option is only for pickup transcripts.
  • Select the “Official: RUSH Pickup” option in the “Transcript Type” drop down box.
  • Rush transcripts are $10 per copy, and once you click “Submit Request” you will be immediately rerouted to the online payment page. You can either pay by web-check or debit/credit card.
  • Students choosing to pay with CASH for a RUSH transcript, need to process a “Official: For Pickup” request, and notify the ESC staff so a charge can be applied to the student’s account for payment in the Bursar’s Office.



If Banweb is not an option for you, then your transcript may be ordered through the National Student Clearinghouse. To order an official transcript, login to through the National Student Clearinghouse’s secure site.

This website will guide you through placing your order, including delivery options, consent forms and fees associated with your request. You can order up to 5 transcripts per day. A processing fee will be charged per copy. You may order transcripts using any major credit card. Your card will only be charged after your order is complete.

For your convenience, a consent form will be generated for your order. The consent form is required to complete your transcript order.

Order updates will be e-mailed to you. After you created your user profile on the Clearinghouse site you will have the option to check your order status or order history online.

Instructions for submitting a transcript request through the National Student Clearinghouse:

  1. Go to
  2. Click the “Order-Track-Verify” button.
  3. Select “Order or Track a Transcript”
  4. Select “University of West Georgia” in the “I want to order my transcript from…” drop down box and click on “Submit”.
  5. Read over the instructions carefully. Then click on “Start”.
  6. Fill out all of your information and click “Next” at the bottom of the screen.
  7. Fill everything else out accordingly.
  8. Any further directions will be provided by the National Student Clearinghouse. If you have any problems or questions please contact them at 703-742-4200.

If you have any questions, please contact the Enrollment Services Center (ESC) by email at, by phone at (678) 839-6421, or by visiting our office located on the first floor of Parker Hall.

*NOTE:  Transcripts requested for pick up are destroyed 30 days after the request date.