CALV will not complete certification if you do not submit this form.  You must submit this form EACH semester you wish to use your benefits!


  • How do I contact the VA?

    National Call Center: 1-888-442-4551


    US Mailing Address: 

    VA Processing Office

    P.O. Box 8888

    Muskogee, OK 74402-8888

  • Does the University of West Georgia participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

    Since our tuition is reasonably low in comparison to other institutions, UWG does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.


  • How long does it usually take to get my benefits started?

    First time applications can take 6-8 weeks to process. It does not always take this long, but students should apply as early as possible and should be prepared to cover expenses through alternative funds until VA Benefits begin. If your benefits are not approved until after your classes have begun, you could receive retroactive payments from the VA.


  • I am applying for Post 9/11 GI Bill. It is asking for an effective date. What should I put down?

    The effective date is any date on or after August 1, 2009, when the Post 9/11 GI Bill began.  If you want to receive retroactive payments for terms already completed, you will need to put the date of the first day of classes for that semester. If you want to be paid from today on, put today’s date.


  • Can my enrollment be certified by the school before I am enrolled?

    You must meet with your advisor and register for classes before you can be certified.


  • The VA said I need the school to submit a VA Form 1999. How do I do that?

    VA Form 1999 is the form that is completed electronically when your classes are certified. If you have been certified, VA Form 1999 has been submitted and no further action is necessary on your part.


  • Why hasn’t the school submitted my enrollment?

    There could be several different reasons why we have not submitted your enrollment yet. 

    • Have you turned in all of the necessary paperwork to our office? 
    • Have you attended Orientation?
    • Have you met with your advisor and have a schedule in place?
    • Did you let us know that you wished to be certified for the term?
    • If you are using Chapter 35 or Chapter 1606 benefits, do you have a $0 balance?

    It may also be that we have been busy and have not gotten to it yet, but you should call us or send an email to us ( if you think you have completed all the steps.  We make mistakes just like everyone else. 


  • How do I request to be certified?

    Submit a Certification Request Form with your student email (  This can be found using the link below.

    Certification Request Form

    NOTE:  CALV will not complete certification if you do not submit this form.  You must submit this form EACH semester you wish to use your benefits!


  • How will I know when my classes have been certified?

    You will receive an email from the SCO notifying you that you have been certified.


  • You said that you submitted my enrollment, but the VA says they do not see it. Where is it?

    It may take some time for enrollments to be far enough in processing to appear in the system. How long depends on many factors including the time of year and the benefit you are using.


  • How many credit hours do I need to take to be considered full-time for VA purposes?
      Fall / Spring Summer
    Undergraduate 12 credit hours Varies. Contact SCO.
    Graduate 9 credit hours Varies. Contact SCO.
    •  : Undergraduate
      Fall / Spring: 12 credit hours
      Summer: Varies. Contact SCO.

    •  : Graduate
      Fall / Spring: 9 credit hours
      Summer: Varies. Contact SCO.



  • Why did I only receive a partial payment?

    The VA will prorate your payment by the number of days enrolled, so if the term started on the 9th, you will be paid from the 9th through the end of the month. Another reason for receiving a partial payment could be due to running out of entitlement. In this case, it is best to contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551.


  • Why did my loan and/or Pell grant pay my bill?

    All financial aid such as a scholarship, loan, and/or Pell grants will always pay the students bill first. If the financial aid pays the entire account balance the student will receive a full refund when VA payment is received by the school.


  • How do scholarships affect my Post 9/11 GI Bill?

    If the scholarship states that it is to be allocated directly for tuition and fees (only for tuition and fees, solely for tuition and fees, the equivalent of tuition and fees, etc.) then the funds will be taken into consideration when determining the amount of tuition and fees to request from VA. The scholarship will be deducted from the VA eligible tuition and fees and we will request the remaining balance from the VA. 

    If the Scholarship does not state what it is to be used for, then it is considered a General Scholarship and it will not affect the Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits.


  • What is a Third Party Memo?

    A Third Party Memo is placed by the Bursar’s Office for Chapter 33 and Chapter 31 students as a place holder until the VA sends the funds for tuition and fees.


  • Do my VA Educational Benefits pay for my housing and meal plans?

    Housing or meal plans are not covered under any VA Educational Benefits at UWG. The VA has determined that these are not fees. However, you may use your monthly stipend to help cover the cost of housing and meal plans.


  • I need to buy my books, but I am waiting on my VA money.

    DO NOT wait until you receive your stipend to purchase your books. Textbooks are needed at the beginning of the term, but your stipend will not be deposited until thirty (30) days after the start of classes. Be prepared to purchase your books at the beginning of each term and do not wait for your stipend to purchase your books.


  • I added, dropped or withdrew from a class. Do I need to let you know?

    Yes. Failure to notify the SCO could result in indebtedness to UWG or the VA. Please send an email to the SCO to notify them of the change.


  • What if I fail a class because I did not attend or withdrew a class?

    If you fail to attend or withdraw from a class and/or receive a grade of "W," "WF" or "F", for that class your schedule will be re-certified indicating the cost difference. The VA will not pay for any courses in which a non-punitive grade was received. This will often times result in VA indebtedness which you will be required to pay back. Repayment is based on the withdrawal date or end of term date.


  • If I fail a class or if a receive a "D" in a class that requires a "C" or better, will the Post 9/11 GI Bill pay for me to retake it?

    Yes.  If you fail a class, the VA will pay for you to retake the class.  If a "C" is the required passing grade for the course the VA will cover the cost of retaking the course.


  • My branch of service told me that my college education would be paid for. What happened?

    There are a variety of resources available to service members to help cover the cost of education, but you need to do some research to find out what is available to you. GI Bill benefits vary widely depending on your branch of service and length of active duty. Visit the GI bill website for more information.


  • Am I eligible to receive credit for military training?

    Students who have served in a branch of the military may be eligible to receive college credit for what they learned in military training and occupations. Students must submit an official Joint Services Transcript (JST) to request their record be evaluated for possible college credit. Veterans and service members can order their JST by using the directions found at the JST website.

    Military credit is awarded based upon the American Council on Education Guide for Military Credit recommendations and the approval of UWG faculty. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be awarded. No credit is awarded for Basic Training; however, students with 2 or more years Active Duty Military Services may waive their physical education activity requirement by submitting a copy of their DD-214.


  • Who has to verify their attendance each month? How do you do that?

    Students receiving money under Chapters 1606, 1607, and 30 have to verify their attendance to the VA. Students can verify their attendance by calling 1-877-823-2378 or by using the WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) system.


  • What happens if I do not verify my attendance?

    If you are using Chapters 1606, 1607 or 30 GI Bill benefits, you are required to verify your attendance at the end of each month before the VA will disperse your next payment. If you receive money for classes in which you are no longer enrolled, the money will have to be returned to the VA.


  • Health Services is telling me that I need to provide proof of my immunizations. How can I provide them with proof when the military has my medical records?

    If you are a recently separated servicemember, you can submit a copy of your DD-214 (Member 2 or Member 4) to Health Services to serve as proof of your immunizations.