International Student Activities and Events
There are several events and activities held each year for International Students. We know being far from home is difficult. Participating in International Student activities gives us a sense of community and allows us to share our cultures with others, creating a bond through the shared experience of international travel and living.
We hope you'll get involved!
Here's how you can get involved
International Education Week (IEW) is an annual opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is reflected in UWG's efforts to promote programs that prepare our students for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences.
For more information about I.E.W., visit the IEW section on the U.S. Department of State's website
Past UWG's I.E.W. Events:
The International Festival is one of UWG's longest running traditions. In 2020, UWG's "International Night" (since 1984) and "World Festival" (since 2008) merged into the International Festival, a celebration of global and multi-cultural education, UWG international students, education abroad and opportunities to expand horizons. All events are free and open to the public.
Past Festival Highlights
- Highlight video of the 2020 International Festival 2020
- 2021 (a few highlights):
- Tribute to Sylvia Shortt (4m 30s), Olympic Opening Ceremonies since 1908 Video Montage (4m 30s)
- Performance of "Esta Tierra" (This Earth) and "Chiribim Chiribom" a Yiddish Folk Song, by the UWG Chamber singers, directed by Karen Graffius.
- Spanish Poetry Reading (PDF, 557M)
- Cuisine - March 2021: Caribbean Power Bowl / Buddha Bowl with Plantains and Yucca options; Falafel on Pita with all the trimmings; Fajitas, Tortillas and Mexican Lasagna; Taco Pizza; Italian Wedding Soup; Tres Leches dessert
- Reyko LIVE (PDF, 2.2M) (a Spanish "Electropop Duo" based in London). Presented by the Spanish Embassy in the U.S. (Live stream)
- Dr. Anca Koczkas and Dr. Ana Zapata-Calle explain some objects from Spanish Folklore
- Lebanese Dabke Choreography by UWG Students
- Dr. Laura Wolfe presented a History of Irish Dance
- A lot more!
Spring Break 2022, To be announced (TBA)
When: Spring 2022
Where: Possible locations, 2-3 day trip to Florida Beaches + theme park + service project
Send your ideas to ISAP Coordinator Rashika Webb: firstname.lastname@example.org
Check back for Details in late 2021.
International Student Club Meet & Greet
2021 Date: To be announced (Usually in September)
2021 Location: To be announced (TBA) - Usually in Love Valley
The International Student Club (ISC) focuses on encouraging intercultural, social, and athletic exchange among students of all nationalities, and to help create a sense of belonging to the campus community through a series of activities and programs that encourage cultural exchanges. ISC meetings are open to all UWG students!
Check out ISC's Culture Through Cuisine Series*
*CTCS takes place in Centre Point Suites Kitchen
Past "Culture Through Cuisine" Events
GILC 2021 has now passed.
Registration for the 2022 Georgia International Leadership Conference (GILC) is to be announced.
Below you'll find the steps and some details from this year's conference so you know what to expect.
GILC 2021: In the Waves of Change We Find Our Direction
- STEP 1: Email Rashika Webb at email@example.com expressing your willingness to commit to the conference.
Include your full name, 917#, and major of study in your email!
- STEP 2: Register using the customized link sent to you from GILC.
- STEP 3: Review the GILC Student Checklist
What is GILC?
GILC is an intensive 2-day annual student conference for international, study abroad, and other students. Around 150 students from 12-15 different colleges around Georgia meet, network, present sessions, learn from one another and have fun! Come be a part of this great Georgia tradition!
When is GILC?
March 5th - 6th 2021
Where is GILC?
From the comfort of your own home! 2021's GILC was a VIRTUAL CONFERENCE!
Student Quotes from GILC 2020
- "Go with an open mind and engage yourself." - Chisom D., Nigeria, Business
- "The people and events were amazing! I would 100% recommend it!" - Kara J., Jamaica, Biology
- "The best part was meeting people from other countries and colleges. The game night was really fun!" - Aka N., Nigeria, Mass Comm.
- "It has changed my life forever. You will learn to look inside yourself and be a better person!" - Paris G. Madagascar-American, Linguistic Anthropology
Student registration: $5 each