All international students at UWG are automatically enrolled in the United Health Care (UHC) student insurance plan each Fall and Spring in order to comply with University System of Georgia requirements. Summer coverage is included with Spring semester coverage. Plan details and costs are provided below.
Note: The PGH Global plan is no longer available to students at USG Comprehensive Regional Universities, including UWG.
- Fall: August 1 - December 31
- Spring: January 1 - May 31
- Summer: June 1 - July 31
Video: Overview of U.S. Health Care
- Compliant with the U.S. Affordable Care Act (ACA / Obamacare)
- Provide up to $250,000 coverage for accident and sickness coverage per year
- Cap of $500 deductible each year for accidents or illness.
- Provide up to $50,000 coverage for medical evacuation: returning a patient to their home country for long-term care requirements.
- Provide up to $25,000 coverage for medical repatriation: returning bodily remains home in the event of death
J1 Students & Scholars:
J1 visa holders must have the following minimum benefits:
- Medical Benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of Remains in the amount of $25,000
- Medical Evacuation coverage up to: $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
- A policy underwritten by an insurance carrier with:
an A.M. Best rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard & Poor’s Claims paying Ability rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of ‘‘B+’’ or above;
a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of ‘‘A-’’ or above;
a Moody’s Investor Services rating of ‘‘A3’’ or above;
Alternate Health Insurance Plans
F1 students may choose a different plan than UHC by requesting an insurance waiver at least 1 week before the fee payment deadline each term. No student may enrolll in courses at UWG without an acceptable insurance plan. Students who request a SHIP waiver must ensure that their alternate plan meets the specific requirements above before purchasing an alternate plan.
How are Waiver Requests Done?
The waiver process will review the alternate plan prior to approving a waiver request. It is important to pay your UWG bill in full, including the UHC SHIP coverage until your waiver is approved. Then, a refund will be processed. Otherwise, you may be dropped form enrollment for non-payment of fees.
A few options are below, and there may be several others you can find by searching online. ISAP cannot recommend specific alternate providers.
- PSA Health Insurance. For questions, please email email@example.com
- International Student Insurance
- Student Secure
- Cigna International
- ISO Insurance