International students in active status have several opportunities to gain employment experience in the U.S during and after graduation *.  Employment will require application for a Social Security Card also. 

* CPT (paid internships) and OPT (post-graduation employment) require participation in a free workshop offered by ISAP and official authorization.  Please see below for details. 

  • Social Security Numbers (SSN)
    Getting a Social Security Number

    A Social Security Number (SSN) is a unique number that identifies an individual as a tax payer in the U.S. It is required for payroll employment in the U.S. and allows individuals to file annual income tax returns each Spring. An SSN is not a work permit or health care program. If you are hired by UWG and perform work, you cannot be paid until you obtain a SSN. 

    • F1 students: eligible with a written job offer letter + ISAP endorsement
    • J1 students: eligible with or without a job offer letter. Request a support letter from ISAP.
    • If no employment is available, F1 students may apply for the ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) instead. 

    COST: Free  

    PROCESSING TIME: Approximately 2 weeks after application to the Social Security Administration, which is a U.S federal agency.



    Different Social Security Offices around the U.S. have different policies and procedures. To the best of our knowledge, the SSA nearest UWG in Villa Rica is only accepting limited, in-person emergency appointments.  They do consider an application for a new SS# as an emergency. To schedule an appointment, call them directly at:  866-331-2318.

    • Keep calling until you can reach someone.
    • Leave a voice message if prompted with your full tel #.
    • Best to call 1st thing in the morning when they open at 9am
    • Take the 1st available appointment offered. All appointments are daily at 10am. 
    • ISAP does not have any other way to reach them but we can assist with transportation. 
    What to Bring to Your SS# Appointment

    *Attention: Original visa documents are required for the application process.

    1. Completed application: Form SS-5  Note: On #5 Citizenship, on the SS-5 form, check “Legal Alien Allowed to Work.”   
    2. Valid Passport
    3. Original SEVIS I-20 document (for F-1 visa holders) or DS-2019 (for J-1/J-2 visa holders)
    4. Your most recent I-94
    5. Original Employer’s Job Offer Template - to be printed on hiring department’s letterhead signed by the employer and endorsed by ISAP staff at the bottom of the letter. J1 Students: request SSN support letter only from ISAP. 
    • Bring originals only of all documents. 
    • Students at UWG can begin their on-campus employment with a filed SS# application.
    • The start date of your employment can not be prior to the date on the SSA receipt.
    • A Social Security Number (SSN) and card will be issued within two weeks of receiving certification from the DHS. It will be mailed to your local address in Carrollton.
    Transportation to the Social Security Administration Office

    SSA is located in Villa Rica, GA, approsimately 15 miles from UWG. ISAP will coordinate 1 free campus shuttles during the second week of each semester. Afterwards, students are responsible for their own transportation to SSA.

    • One option to get their is via "Carroll Connection". Rides are $3-5 one-way and must be reserved by midday the day before. Call:  844-778-7826 for reservations and information. 
    • SSA Address:  908 S Carroll Rd, Villa Rica, GA 30180. They close at 4pm, M-F and at 12pm on Wednesdays. 
  • Employment Workshops
    Employment Workshops

    All applicants for CPT or OPT must complete an employment training workshop before applying for either benefit.

    COST: free

    SIGN UP:  required in advance. 

    1. Email: from your UWG email.
    2. Include your full name, 917#, which workshop and date you are signing up for.

    You will receive a confirmation email and reminder email about the workshop. If you do not attend the workshop, ISAP cannot process your CPT or OPT application. We are developing an online workshop too and will let you know that is available.

    Q: I'm not on campus any of those dates.
    A: We suggest you plan ahead accordingly.

    Q: I have class during those times.
    A: We suggest you make appropriate arrangements with your professor or another student to cover material or tests you may miss by attending one of the required workshops below. Please plan ahead accordingly.

    Q: I decided at the last minute to apply for OPT, and there are no more workshops.
    A: Please contact ISAP to discuss options.


    Employment Workshops in ISAP - Spring 2021*
    Mandeville Hall Confernce Room, 1:30-2:30 PM


    Dates CPT OPT H1-B
    Tuesday, Feb. 9th X    
    Thursday, Feb. 18th   X  
    February   150 day OPT application window opens  
    Thursday, Mar. 11th X    
    Friday, Mar. 19th   X  

    Employment Workshops in ISAP - Spring 2021* Mandeville Hall Confernce Room, 1:30-2:30 PM *ALL SPRING 2021 CPT / OPT WORKSHOPS WILL BE CONDUCTED OVER ZOOM

    • Dates: Tuesday, Feb. 9th
      CPT: X

    • Dates: Thursday, Feb. 18th
      OPT: X

    • Dates: February
      OPT: 150 day OPT application window opens

    • Dates: Thursday, Mar. 11th
      CPT: X

    • Dates: Friday, Mar. 19th
      OPT: X


  • Employment - On Campus

    International students who are in active F1 or J1 status are allowed to work on-campus. 


    International student must be: 

    • in active status.
    • properly enrolled full-time full-time, except summer term. 
    • enrolled summer term in order to work during the summer. 
    • eligibility ends in the final term on the last day of the semester

    Types of Work 

    • Hourly student positions funded by UWG, not by Federal Financial Aid / Work-Study
    • Housing & Residence Life, Dine West, Bookstore, URec etc...
    • Graduate Research Assistant (GRA), Graduate Assistant (GA), Teaching Assistant (TA)


    • Employment must not interfere with full-time study (no work during class time).
    • Max 20 hours / week during the semester and 40 hours / week during breaks & summer
    • Must be enrolled at UWG
    • Social Security # or Application for an SSN Required

    Summer Employment 

    • International students can work up to 40 hours during the summer session, regardless of enrollment, unless summer is your 1st term of enrollment. 

    Find a Campus Job

    • Search UWG Student Employment listings.
    • Ask your academic department about Assistantships.
    • Ask other students, especially Dine West, URec, Housing, and UWG Bookstore about jobs.
    • To prepare, visit UWG Career Services for help with your resume, cover letter and interview skills.

    Starting Your Job:  TO DO! 

    F-1 Students

    • Apply for a  social security number (if you don't already have one).
    • Complete your New Hire Packet from UWG Human Resources or any required paperwork from your department.
    • Make sure to file your U.S. Tax Return (April 15th) by the deadline each year you work. 

    J-1 Students

    DS-2019 issued by UWG:

    • Complete and submit J-1 On-campus Employment Authorization Form to the ISAP
    • Requires update to your DS-2019 prior to working
    • Make sure to file your U.S. Tax Return (April 15th) by the deadline each year you work.

    DS-2019 not issued by UWG:

    • Contact your J-1 program sponsor for permission to work on-campus.
    • Submit the on-campus employment authorization letter to the UWG for our records.
    • Make sure to file your U.S. Tax Return (April 15th) by the deadline each year you work.
  • Volunteering and Unpaid Internships
    Volunteering and Unpaid Internships

    F-1 students can gain experience off-campus through volunteering or as an unpaid intern only when there is no compensation of any kind and the position doesn’t violate any U.S. or state labor laws.

    Labor Laws

    American labor laws protect workers from working without pay except in certain specific and defined situations. It is important to understand that workers cannot give away their right to receive pay. If the work being done benefits the company and is work that someone would normally be paid for, then that work most likely does not qualify to be considered an unpaid internship or volunteer work.

    WARNING: Before doing any work, you should ask what paperwork the organization requires from you to start your unpaid internship. If they want you to complete an I-9 Employment Authorization Verification form, it means they consider it to be an employment relationship requiring authorization even if you are not being paid. An international student who works at an unpaid internship or volunteer opportunity which is later found to not properly be unpaid work will have violated status.  

    When considering volunteering or doing an unpaid internship, international students should be very careful to make sure that the internship really meets all six of the criteria established by the U.S. Department of Labor:

    1. The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which would be given in an educational environment;
    2. The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;
    3. The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
    4. The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion its operations may actually be impeded;
    5. The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship; and
    6. The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.

    Source: Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act

    Frequently Asked Questions
    • Do I need work authorization to accept an unpaid internship or volunteer position? | You are not required to obtain OPT or CPT work authorization to engage in a legitimate unpaid internship or volunteer position.
    • Can ISAP give me a letter of permission to do an unpaid internship? | No. We only authorize paid employment for students. We are not authorized to vet unpaid internships for compliance or to give permission.
    • Can ISAP give me a Social Security Letter based on my unpaid internship? | No. We can only sign offer letters for authorized paid employment opportunities.
    • How can I later prove that my position was a legitimate unpaid internship or volunteer position? | You should get documentation from the organization where you are engaging in the unpaid internship or volunteer activity explaining the nature and terms of your work, and keep this with your other immigration records.
  • F1 Employment - Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

    Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

    CPT is a benefit of active F1 status available to F-1 students who require an internship course off-campus in order to graduate from their current degree program.

    COST:  Free   

    PROCESSING TIME:  1-2 business days once the request is complete with all supporting documentation.


    • Completion of a CPT workshop. See above. 
    • Full-time enrollment for at least one year in active F-1 status (except for graduate students where the program requires immediate CPT)
    • CPT employment must be an integral part of your degree program or a program requirement of a course in which you are enrolled for academic credit (internship, practicum, field study, independent study...)
    • Approval from your academic department prior to ISAP approval. 
    • You must have received a qualifiying, written job offer before applying for CPT.
    • Your job offer must be in your major or field of study

    When to Apply

    • Deadline:  End of drop/add period each semester. 
    • You can apply once you enroll in the internship course as well as other necessary classes and have all the necessary documents. 
    • Once your application is reviewed, your I-20 will be updated and endorsed for CPT. Then, you may begin working. Employment prior to approval is a violation of status.
    • No CPT application will be accepted after the 1st week of the new semester.
    • CPT may begin after the last day of the previous semester. 
    • Refer to this CPT Checklist as you begin your application

    How to Apply

    • Enroll in the internship course. In the fall and the spring semester, enroll in other necessary classes.
    • Register full-time (9 for graduate students and 12 for undergraduate students). Classes cannot be taken through online or distance education.
    • Submit your CPT application.
    • PLESE NOTE: ISAP cannot switch a student from part-time CPT to full-time CPT in the middle / near the end of the semester. CPT authorizations are final once they are approved by the government.

    Work Limits

    • Up to 20 hours per week (part-time) during Fall and Spring Semesters
    • Up to 40 hours per week (full-time) during all breaks and Summer Semester
    • Working full-time more than 12 months in a row will make you ineligible for OPT. 

    CPT I-20 Application

    Submit your CPT application to ISAP. Your application should include:

    • Academic advisor or departmental letter (if applicable), printed on official letterhead (use this template or department form, if applicable). 
    • Employer letter, printed on official letterhead.
    • Photocopy of your passport valid for at least six months into the future.
    • Photocopy of recent I-94 arrival record. Print from: 
    • Requires application for a SSN# unless you have one allready.   
  • F1 Employment - Optional Practical Training (OPT)

    Optional Practical Training (OPT)

    OPT is a benefit of the F1 status to provide optional employment experience after completion of each degree level.

    IMPORTANT: If you are a All-But-Dissertation Student (ABD) you are NOT eligible for OPT until you have completed your program!

    COST:  $410

    PROCESSING TIME:  8-10 weeks once application is received by USCIS. See mailing address below. 

    • Students may apply for OPT up to 90 days prior to completion of studies and up to 60 days after completion of studies (grace period). USCIS will deny applications received before or after these strict deadlines. 
    • Students may not begin working until their OPT card (EAD - Employment Authorization Document) is in hand. 
    • ISAP does no recommend departure from the U.S. during a pending OPT application or use of the ISAP mailing address, since all OPT applications are an individual, optional request. 
    • Having trouble picking an OPT Start Date? Please see this Choosing A Start Date for OPT Graphic. 
      • Remember your OPT Start Date MUST be within the 60 days after completion of studies (grace period)

    When OPT is approved and you receive your EAD card, provide ISAP a clear copy of the front and back of your EAC Card. .

    Appy for OPT

    • Application located on the >> Forms & Links  page under "Employment"

    Mail the OPT Application

    Mailing the application is your responsibility. Select regular U.S. mail or the express service of your choice.

     BE MINDFUL: You must mail your OPT application and have it received by USCIS within 30 days of your OPT recommendation by the DSO

    Via Regular U.S. Postal Service (USPS)

    P.O. Box 660867
    Dallas, TX 75266

    Via Express Delivery Service (FedEx, UPS, DHL)

    Attn: NFB AOS
    2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
    Suite 400
    Lewisville, TX 75067

    When OPT is Approved

    1. Sign and return the:  My OPT Responsibilities Form  with a copy of the front and back of your EAD card to ISAP
    2. Request an updated form I-20 from ISAP that indicates "OPT Approved".
    3. Make copies of your new I-20 and EAD card in case of loss or theft, or for future reference.

    Create SEVP Account to Access SEVIS via the Student Portal 

    1. Very Important:  You are responsible for creating a student portal account in SEVIS . It will be your responsibility to update and maintain portions of your own record, including OPT employment, email, phone and U.S. address. ISAP cannot do this for you. If you exceed the 90 days of no OPT employment reported, SEVP can assume abadonment of OPT and terminate your status.   
    2. To reset your student SEVIS portal and receive an email prompt from SEVIS: contact a DSO in ISAP
    3. Refer to the SEVP Portal Student Guide and SEVP Portal Help Page for more information. 
    • STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) OPT Extension

      What is it? An extension of current OPT in an approved STEM field for an additional 24 months of employment authorization. If approved, there is no gap in employment; the STEM extension begins the day after OPT ends. 

      COST:  $410 gov't fee, in addition to the fee for the initial 12 month OPT application.

      PROCESSING TIME:  8-10 weeks once application is received by USCIS


      • You are currently in an approved initial 12-month OPT position.
      • Your current OPT is associatd with an approved STEM major at UWG. (Note: STEM extensions are based on a major degree only, not a minor or previous degree. 
      • Full list of Dept. of Homeland Security (DHS) approved STEM majors
      • You have a job offer from an E-verify participating employer. 

      STEM OPT Application


      The STEM OPT application must arrive at USCIS prior to the 12 month OPT expiration date, as indicated on the EAD card. The corresponding form I-20 for the STEM extension may be requested from ISAP up to 95 days before the end of OPT, but the form must not arrive at USCIS before the 90 day window. ISAP recommends applying for STEM OPT no later than 1 month prior to the expiration of initial OPT. 

      Continuation of OPT Employment During Pending STEM Application

      When you receive the application receipt from USCIS, you may continue working in your current OPT position up to 180 days after expiration of the initial EAD card. 

      How to Apply

      Prepare items #1 - 4 below and submit to ISAP for review at the same time. 

      1. Prepare the ISAP OPT STEM Request Form
      2. Prepare the STEM Training Plan, form I-983 (requires information from both the student and the current employer) For assistance, watch the video tutorial at: 
      3. Prepare form I-765, Employment Authorization Application (must use STEM Code (c) (3) (C) in #27, and include the name of your degree in #28.a, your employer's name as listed in E-Verify, as well as your employer's E-Verify number. (Failure to include a valid company E-Verify # will result in delay or denial of your application). 
      4. Prepare Supporting Documents*
      *Supporting Documents
      • Personal check or U.S. money order for $410 made payable to Department of Homeland Security. If you prepfer to use a credit card, prepare form G-1450 (Authorization for Credit Card Transaction).
      • Two (2) passport photos taken within the last 30 days. Write your I-94# on the back in pencil. See  for photo details. 
      • Copy of passport biographical page
      • Copy of Visa Stamp or Change of Status Approval Notice if you changed status in the U.S.
      • Copy of I-94 document
      • Copy of initial OPT EAD Card (front and back)
      • UWG Transcript showing conferral of degree in an approved STEM field. 
      • Copy of UWG diploma naming your degree and major
      • Job continution support letter from your employer
      • ISAP will review all the documents above and issue form I-20 endorsed for STEM OPT, which says "OPT Requested" in the employment section. 
      • Mail your completed application to USCIS (see below) within 60 days of the STEM I-20 issuance date. Keep a complete extra copy for your records. 
      USCIS Mailing Address 

      eShipGlobal Option:

      • Select “OPT Application” or “Send Documents to USCIS.”
      • Select the USCIS location in Lewisville, TX. (see below)
      • Select your carrier of choice. Pay for shipping. Print the label. 
      • Last, drop off your packet at the nearest location for the carrier you selected.
      USCIS Mailing Addresses
      Via Regular U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Via Express Delivery Service  (FedEx, UPS, DHL)

      P.O. Box 660867
      Dallas, TX 75266

      Attn: NFB AOS
      2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
      Suite 400
      Lewisville, TX 75067


      USCIS Mailing Addresses

      • Via Regular U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

        P.O. Box 660867
        Dallas, TX 75266

        Via Express Delivery Service  (FedEx, UPS, DHL):

        Attn: NFB AOS
        2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
        Suite 400
        Lewisville, TX 75067


      Maintaining Status During STEM OPT

      Please see important details about reporting requirements unique to STEM OPT on the ISAP website, current students tab > Maintaining Status. 

      H1-B and STEM OPT

      Even if your employer is sponsoring your Change of Status to H1-B, ISAP recommends that you also apply for STEM OPT. 

      Why?  If your H1-B is denied or delayed for some reason, OPT STEM provides back-up plan to continue employment and maintain F1 status. If you are later approved fro H1-B, your STEM OPT will automatically convert to H1-B as a Change of Status with no gap in employment. Please contact a DSO in ISAP if you have questions about this.  


    • J1 Employment - Severe Economic Hardship

      Students in J1 status do not require application to USCIS for an EAD card like F1 students. J1 students may complete the ISAP request form only and apply directly in ISAP for immediate approval. Approval is done in SEVIS by an ARO (Alternate Responsible Officer), which is an ISAP staff member who is also an ARO. 

      F1 Employment - Severe Economic Hardship

      If employment is not availalbe or current employment is insufficient, eligible F-1 students may request employment authorization based on severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student's control.

      Examples of Unforeseen Circumstancces:  loss of financial aid or on-campus employment that is not the fault of the student, substantial currency devaluation, sudden increase in tuition or living costs, student's source of financial support is interrupted due to medical bills, civil strife, natural disasters, war, or other dire geo-political circumstances.

      Eligibility Criteria

      You are eligible to apply for employment based on severe economic hardship if:

      • You have been in F-1 status for one full academic year.
      • You are in good academic standing and are taking a full course load.
      • Employment will not interfere with your studies.
      • You demonstrate the employment is necessary to maintain status due to unforeseen economic circumstances beyond your control.
      Required Documentation
      • A completed Severe Economic Hardship Request Form.
      • A personal statement describing the unforeseen economic circumstances with documentation of any claims you make in the statement. i.e. news articles, dated currency exchange rates, medical documentation, etc... 
      • Completed Form I-765, using the code (C)(3)(iii) at item 16. Do not date the form until you are ready to send the application to the U.S.
      • Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
      • Copies of your current and previous I-20s
      • Copy of paper or print-out of electronic Form I-94
      • Copy of your F-1 visa page (except Canadians) or I-797 (approval of change of status to F-1), if applicable
      • Copy of your unofficial transcript available from MyUWG
      How to Apply for Severe Economic Hardship Employment
      • Visit ISAP during advising hours for document review. 
      • ISAP will prepare an I-20 endorsed for this type of employment. Sign it. 
      • Mail your application packet to USCIS. Keep a full copy for your records. 
      Items to Include With Application
      • Copy of new I-20 with hardship employment recommendation
      • Copies of previous I-20(s)
      • Copy of Form I-94
      • Copy of your passport bio page 
      • Copy of your F-1 visa page (except Canadians) or I-797 (approval of change of status to F-1), if applicable
      • Form I-765 and the base fee
      • 2 passport style photos, color, plain background, less than 30 days old
      • Personal statement with with documentation of claims made in the statement. 
      Mailing to USCIS

      Send your complete request to USCIS at the following location:

      P.O. Box 660867
      Dallas, TX 75266

      NOTE: Only the U.S. Postal Service can deliver to a P.O. Box address. 

      Employment Authorization Card (EAD)

      When approved, USCIS will issue an EAD (Employment Authorization Document) to you. In case of denial, you will be notified by USCIS via paper mail. 

      You may not begin employment without the EAD card and within the dates printed on the card. 

    • Academic Training (AT) 

      J-1 visa students are eligible for up to 18 months of work authorization, known as “Academic Training ”. Post-doctoral students may apply for an additional 18 months of AT.


      • ISAP authorization required in advance.
      • AT is not intended for J1 students to meet personal or living expenses. It is intended for you to gain work and cultural experience in your field of study. 


      • will engage in employment directly related to his / her major field of study.
      • has completed all coursework required for the degree, OR
        will work only during vacation periods, OR
        will only work part-time (20 hours/week) if still enrolled in course work
      • will maintain health insurance coverage while working
      • will obtain proper authoriztion for AT from a Responsible Officer (RO) in ISAP.


      • Apply for AT at least two (2) weeks prior to program end date
      • Duration: Time limits are cumulative, so any AT used prior to completion of study will be deducted from the balance after completion of a degree.
      • Non-Degree seeking students: AT is available for a period of time equal to the time you are enrolled (up to 12 months).
      • Degree-seeking students: AT cannot be authorized longer than your total period of study.  Maximum AT duration: 18 months, unless your period of study was less than 18 months.
      • Ph.D. students: 18 months. If you are offered an established Post-Doctoral position you may be authorized for additional 18-months, for a total of 36 months of post-doctoral training, which is the maximum amount.

      DOCUMENTATION - To Apply for AT, submit:

      1. AT application form

      2. Original job offer on employer's letterhead with ALL of the following details:

      • Job title
      • Name of supervisor
      • Location of employment
      • Proposed start and end dates of employment
      • Number of hours per week
      • Salary (If the work is unpaid, then you will also need to submit financial documents showing that you or your sponsor can cover the cost of living expenses for the period of extension for Academic Training)

      3. Name and UWG email of your Academic Advisor.

      ISAP cannot approve your AT until your secondary approver responds to ISAP with their approval, so make sure he or she is aware of this process, in advance.

      For Exchange Students only:

      • You must apply for AT at least two (2) weeks before the end date of your DS-2019. We cannot approve AT after that date. 
      • You must also submit a letter from your home university confirming that the proposed job experience in the U.S. is related to your field of study, and stating their support for the opportunity. 

      Academic Training Evaluation

      At the conclusion of your AT experience you must submit an evaluation to ISAP via email that includes all your personal identifying information and the employer's name, address and location. State  whether the experience was helpful or not. If so or if not, how and why? Email this evaluation to ISAP. 

  • H1-B Cap-Gap Extension
    H1-B Cap-Gap Extension

    The H-1B cap-gap extension allows F-1 students currently on post-completion OPT to continue working if they have a timely-filed H-1B petition requesting change of status and an employment start date of October 1 (the first day of the following fiscal year). An automatic cap-gap extension of an F-1 student's duration of status also applies to the duration of status of the student's dependents in F-2 status.

    "Cap-gap" has become the common term used to refer to the "gap" in nonimmigrant status that occurs in a change of status to H-1B, when a student's current nonimmigrant status expires before the requested H-1B start date. 

    • For example, an F-1 student with an post-completion OPT end date of June 30 will have duration of status for 60 days beyond that, until August 30. The gap between August 30 and October 1 is a "cap-gap." 
    Who qualifies for an H-1B cap-gap extension?

    Students must have a timely-filed H-1B petition while the student's authorized F-1 duration of status (D/S) admission was still in effect. This includes:

    1. Students working on post-completion OPT with an end date on or later than April 1 and have a timely-filed H-1B petition. Students on post-completion OPT may continue to work until 9/30 until the H1B begins on 10/1.

    2. Students who are currently in their grace period with a timely-filed H-1B petition. These students may stay in the U.S. until the H-1B begins on 10/1, but are not eligible to work during this time.

    The student must not have violated the terms or conditions of his or her F-1 status.

    Is there an application or fee for the cap-gap extension?

    No. The extension is automatically recorded on your SEVIS record.

    How do I get an updated I-20 showing the cap-gap extension?

    You may request a cap-gap extension I-20 from ISAP to present to your employer. You will be required to upload a copy of a receipt notice from USCIS showing that your application for the H1-B was filed in a timely manner and is being adjudicated. Within five business days, an international student advisor will process your request.

    Do I have to have a new I-20 showing the cap-gap extension?

    No. The cap-gap extension is automatic as long as you have timely-filed H-1B petition. However, some employers request evidence of work authorization or you may be applying for benefits (i.e. renewing a drivers license) that may require a reprint.